Skip to main content

9. Tears for the Sun

Soleia 0.106

I hope that you never think me heartless.  I can see how your mother is with you and I know what I must be to you.  She will be soft so I must be hard.  I must be hard so that you can be both.

In your life, you will meet people and mostly be able to safely and quickly dismiss them as one or the other.  Wishy-washy people who go back on their word, dream without taking action, and consider an insult equivalent to a violation.  Boring, anal, impatient people set in their ways, conflating rudeness for confidence, volume for persuasion and proud of their pig-headedness, their stubborness, their ignorance.

Learn from these people, Kwynn.  Learn from their faults.  Learn what not to do and how not to be yourself.

Even in moments of solidity, liquids can form.  I like to think of myself as ice: cold and rational with respect to what must be done for you.  I've been ice since you were born - winter ice, the ice that doesn't melt even when beaten upon by the Sun.  I was ice holding you that first time because I had to be - because you are the most important thing that I'll ever do, because I know that you are, because I know that other things will try to distract me from you, & because I don't want to be like other people.

But the Sun always shines.  And sometimes ice melts.

It was an innocent moment.  You were upset, uncomfortable.  And I simply put you on your side on my chest and rubbed your back.

You don't even know who I am yet, what I am.  You didn't soothe because your father was rubbing your back, or because someone who loved you was rubbing your back.  You soothed because something was rubbing your back.

But soothe you did.  Right into slumber, on my chest.

And the ice turned to water.

I don't know how long I wept there, quietly, alone in that room save for you, my darling, sleeping blissfully oblivious to my catharsis.  But it was nice to be reminded that I can still weep for joy, like a normal person.

It just took an amount of joy that no one in the world could produce in me.  No one, except for you.

- Papa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13. Summer's end

Soleia 1.85 The sun rose at 645 today.   You hadn’t slept long enough.   You had been set to bed late the night before.   We went to have breakfast and give Mama the morning to herself before she had to depart. You dipped behind the clouds on the way home, dimming the daylight.   Like I said, you hadn’t slept enough and this time you would hide your light all the way to noon. The ride to Nana and Grandpa’s was uneventful.   You ate Multi-grain Cheerios the whole way, making eyes at passengers and at your father for the entire journey. You were dimming again as Grandpa picked us up from the RT station at McCowan.   It wouldn’t be long before you’d need another nap and I readied myself to the task of finding a relatively quiet room in the house were you might go under. But once we settled into Nana and Grandpa’s bed in the darkened room, I could here the weezing and gasping that you made from beneath your pacifier on the bed beside me.   You couldn’t breath – your nos

10. You, before you knew

Soleia 0.113 It is important that you don't think I write this just to sound clever or caring.  This isn't the show...the spectacle of loving you.  I really more than anything want to give you an accounting of who you were before you could remember who you were - Soleia, before Soleia knew what a 'Soleia' was. So much of what we are and what we think we are, is what is told to us about ourselves by others.  It creates this outline that we fill in with our actions and behaviours, our reactions, our fears, our hopes and our dreams.  But the outline is sometimes so restrictive that it keeps us from filling out things that others simply don't see. There is this tension between freedom and structure that exists in the universe.  When I tell you something about yourself am I imposing my understanding upon you, limiting your freedom to be what you choose?  Or am I simply informing you of something that is actually there, giving you a structure and framework with whic

5. The Sun at Night

Soleia 0.4 This isn't easy.  My nerves are frayed.  Funnily enough, I'm actually past the point of laughter... Startling in a way - I didn't think I had that point.  I looked down at you just now and couldn't laugh at how awful this was.  It was just awful - with nothing else that I could take away. You cry - water running from the Sun.  It's unnatural - the Sun crying and the way that you cry.  You have that higher level.  It stops being crying.  It goes past screaming, past bawling, past wailing, to some other word that I can't think of now.  I can't think of most words now, being as tired as I am. If I heard the sound you were making and weren't looking at you, I'd think that someone was lowering you very slowly into boiling oil.  That is literally the only thing I could think of someone doing to me that might make me make that sound.  The only thing.  Not having my arm sawed off with a butter knife.  Not being castrated by running my boy pa