Skip to main content

6. One moon (or Five angels)

Soleia 0.31

We are exhausted.  You won't sleep in a crib.  That would be too easy.  If you aren't in someone's arms, you won't go under.  If you are leaving someone's arms,  you won't stay under.

We went for a walk and it didn't seem to be improving our moods. We were coming home, resolved to the fact that there would be no happy ending to this little journey.  It was there, just a little ways from the house that we saw two women coming in our direction, both of them pushing strollers.

Two Afro-Canadian women, women far younger than us.  In the strollers were two beautiful little girls, friends no doubt by virtue of the friendship between these two young mothers.  

They asked us how we were and your mother was as she always was: honest, to a fault.  She spoke candidly about our travails and was rejuvenated by the cameraderie; the shared struggle.  The mothers told us of things that we'd seen, things that we'd seen and misunderstood, things that we were yet to see.  But even though they said it in words it was their cheer and generosity more than anything which drove home what they were saying and for that moment made us believe what we were then having doubts about: that it would get better.  That this wasn't something we had to get used to - it was something that we had to overcome.

It is hard, said one of the mothers.  But not so hard that she wasn't having another.  She rubbed her belly proudly, comforted by the new life growing again inside of her.  We gave our thanks and said our goodbyes, walking in opposite directions, our spirits buoyed.  I turned back to look at those five angels that visited us when we had needed it most.  And I wondered if there would ever be a moment when my wife and I might serve similarly as angels to someone who faced these challenges for the first time as we do.

I know we'll answer the call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13. Summer's end

Soleia 1.85 The sun rose at 645 today.   You hadn’t slept long enough.   You had been set to bed late the night before.   We went to have breakfast and give Mama the morning to herself before she had to depart. You dipped behind the clouds on the way home, dimming the daylight.   Like I said, you hadn’t slept enough and this time you would hide your light all the way to noon. The ride to Nana and Grandpa’s was uneventful.   You ate Multi-grain Cheerios the whole way, making eyes at passengers and at your father for the entire journey. You were dimming again as Grandpa picked us up from the RT station at McCowan.   It wouldn’t be long before you’d need another nap and I readied myself to the task of finding a relatively quiet room in the house were you might go under. But once we settled into Nana and Grandpa’s bed in the darkened room, I could here the weezing and gasping that you made from beneath your pacifier on the bed beside me.   You couldn’t breath – your nos

10. You, before you knew

Soleia 0.113 It is important that you don't think I write this just to sound clever or caring.  This isn't the show...the spectacle of loving you.  I really more than anything want to give you an accounting of who you were before you could remember who you were - Soleia, before Soleia knew what a 'Soleia' was. So much of what we are and what we think we are, is what is told to us about ourselves by others.  It creates this outline that we fill in with our actions and behaviours, our reactions, our fears, our hopes and our dreams.  But the outline is sometimes so restrictive that it keeps us from filling out things that others simply don't see. There is this tension between freedom and structure that exists in the universe.  When I tell you something about yourself am I imposing my understanding upon you, limiting your freedom to be what you choose?  Or am I simply informing you of something that is actually there, giving you a structure and framework with whic

5. The Sun at Night

Soleia 0.4 This isn't easy.  My nerves are frayed.  Funnily enough, I'm actually past the point of laughter... Startling in a way - I didn't think I had that point.  I looked down at you just now and couldn't laugh at how awful this was.  It was just awful - with nothing else that I could take away. You cry - water running from the Sun.  It's unnatural - the Sun crying and the way that you cry.  You have that higher level.  It stops being crying.  It goes past screaming, past bawling, past wailing, to some other word that I can't think of now.  I can't think of most words now, being as tired as I am. If I heard the sound you were making and weren't looking at you, I'd think that someone was lowering you very slowly into boiling oil.  That is literally the only thing I could think of someone doing to me that might make me make that sound.  The only thing.  Not having my arm sawed off with a butter knife.  Not being castrated by running my boy pa